Wednesday, February 6, 2013

one step forward, one step back

Good morning from Johannesburg,

As of this writing, the Buckeyes succumbed in overtime. While I'm moderately put off by this, I have bigger matters at hand.

Let's catch up real quick.

It has been an arduous two days. I have flown 10,108 miles. Istanbul was a true exercise in self reliance. Imagine being in an airport in a foreign country from 2p to 12:30a with no one to talk to, no phone, no Internet, and, perhaps most importantly, no Cinnabon. I killed time by reading, doing more Portuguese lessons, and walking around. Istanbul is a crazy busy international airport. Just in the 12a hour that my plane left, there were 19 international departures! Some pictures included here are Istanbul. The first is the Black Sea on descent, followed by Istanbul itself. If you look carefully (and I totally nerded out on this), that is Asia on the left and Europe on the right! Deplaning in IST, notice it is the back of the plane. I felt like I was illegally jumping out the back of the school bus circa 1998. And lastly, cigarettes are bad for you according to the duty free shop. After rationing my electricity to the first two episodes of Homeland Season 2 (thanks Ben), I boarded another 10 hour flight to Joburg.

After getting about four hours of sleep, we landed a bit after 10a. Ready for this? My luggage did not make it! At this point, with thanks to iMessaging and my mom, I've been in touch with the airlines and all. It appears that my bag didn't even get out of Columbus! Very anxious here and no clear resolution but I have talked to everyone I can and am doing what I think is best: going on to Angola today and have my bag come to the airport at a later date. Potential casualties include: all of my medical equipment, my anti-malarial medicine, and my Federer hat. I have with me: three shirts, one shorts, two underwear, three socks, two scrub pants one scrub top, one vest, one sweatshirt, and one pullover, as well as travel toiletries and a haul of dark blue orbit gum and Clif bars.

It's 6:52a and my shuttle to the airport leaves at 7a, gotta run!

Oh the last picture...in my head it went something like, "I bless the (impending) rains down in Africa."

Hopeful, stressed, and anxious,
Zach









2 comments:

  1. Hope that bag shows up for you - nothing stresses me out more when traveling than a lost bag, which has happened on both of our last two flights.
    Love the pictures - keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard from Betsy that you've arrived safe and sound! :)
    Thinking of you, Zach. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete